Faoune(Region of kolda)
Religion : Muslim
Most Common Business Activities : Sesame seeds, cosmetic products, honey production, nuts and oils.
School Access : There is a Primary School present and a Secondary School is relatively close (3km). Approximately 40% of the village is literate.
Health Care Accessibility : There is a nurse and a small health clinic present in Faoune. It is about 60km to the nearest hospital.
Regional Challenges : Faoune has established a partnership with surrounding villages to promote self-sufficiency and sustainability. The village built a tourist campground, a school, a health center and a maternity center with government support.
Recent Community Initiatives: The community has built a youth center.
Name of Ecovillage Association: Colufifa ( AJAAC)
Ecovillage President: Demba MANSARE
Adresse: Tel.: 33 995 35 11/33 995 11 12/33 995 11 14
Background Achievements Environmental problems Realized achievements Activities Ecovillages projects Hoped for activities in the framework of a sister ecovillage program
Founded in 1985. The first seminar on permaculture at Faoune one of the
founders of the ecovillage concept in 1997.
In 2000 the first seminar on the training of trainers on Permaculture
Our ecovillages are set in the southern regions
of Senegal (Kolda and Ziguinchor).
Absence of food security (lack of food)
Lack of compost
Waste of rainwater
Use of fertilizers and pesticides in the fields.
Excessive woodcutting in the forests
Increasing of new cleared lands.
Very few possibilities to earn money
Insufficient valorization of local resources.
- Creation of a farmers' movement for the local development in Senegal.
- Creation of a sesame channel in Senegal
- Construction of our Headquarters in Faoune
- Construction of a beekeeping center
- Settlement of a factory in Faoune and 2 small Presses: one in Saré
Doro and the other in Tanaff Sansankoutoto.
- Digging of 20 wells for common gardens, animals or people.
- Construction of several kindergartens and drugstores.
- Construction of two hospital complexes.
- Making available to AAJAC COLUFIFA members more than 80 cattle drawn
carts for harvest and more than 5 horse drawn carts.
- Construction of more than 10 common granaries
- Creation of a "grain bank" to protect farmers from the fluctuations
of the market
- Two seminars on Permaculture (one in Senegal and another one in Guinea)
- Creation of an NGO in Belgium under the name of COLUFIFA BEL
- Promotion of the sesame cultivation
- Transforming sesame into oil
- Manufacturing of sesame-based soap
- Manufacturing chocolate paste from sesame and sesame paste
- Promotion of the beekeeping
- Manufacturing of beeswax candles
- Chicken farming
- Women's training
- Operation of hospital complexes
- Eco- Tourism
- Revival of the common granaries and "grain banks"
- Recycling in Permaculture (two week seminar in the Gambia)
- Improving trainers in permaculture (Senegal)
- Eco-Tourism, cultural exchange between people from the North and those
from the South
- Ecological honey and sesame production
- Literacy programs in local languages
HOPED FOR ACTIVITIES IN THE FRAMEWORK OF A SISTER ECOVILLAGE PROGRAM
- Strengthening capacities of grassroots development
agents in the concepts of permaculture and ecovillages
- Literacy teaching in local languages
- Popularizing renewable energies (solar, wind, bio-gas, etc)
- Developing eco tourism, cultural exchanges between people of the South
and those from the North
- Starting the creation process of the African Ecovillage Network.